Jyothy Institute Of Technology
Affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University - Belgaum, Approved by AICTE - New Delhi
The field of Civil Engineering has been growing very fast in the recent years as we have now realized the importance of infrastructure development. The department is committed to produce Civil Engineers which would usher India into a utopia of development. The Department has committed itself to the proclaimed pledge of producing quality civil engineering professionals by the virtue of its very competent faculty and state-of- the-art laboratories. The Civil Engineering department has dedicated itself towards the never ending quest for knowledge and contributing with vigour in the development of Karnataka and the country as a whole.
The mission of the department is to deliver global quality technical education by nurturing a conducive learning environment for a better tomorrow through continuous improvement and customisation and to impart state of art techniques to create eco-friendly infra-structure.
Civil Engineering is one of the oldest and broadest of the engineering discipline extending across many technical specialties. The career options in this discipline include planning, designing and supervising the construction activities which are required for providing essentials to modern life. The scope of this discipline includes buildings, bridges, water supply and waste water treatment, irrigation and hydrology, marine structures, tunnels, highways, airports, space satellite and launching facilities - each vary widely in nature and size to create infrastructure requirement for the need of the society. Experts from different parts of the state have prepared the curriculum, which is taught in the course is well planned and provides knowledge in diversified areas such as structural engineering, surveying, geotechnical engineering, water resources and environmental engineering, transportation engineering, ocean and coastal engineering and construction engineering etc. A graduate from this discipline can become an entrepreneur or serve Government/Private agency/ R&D organization to serve the nation.
The Vision of the department is to become a leading centre of excellence in Civil Engineering education which will be highly recognized at national and international levels as well as contributing to the technology for the overall development of the society.
To be a global centre of excellence in imparting quality education in all the frontiers of civil engineering for the development of the society.
- M1 : To educate the students in the field of civil engineering by adopting best teaching-learning process with state of the art facilities and infrastructure.
- M2 : To encourage the students to contribute to the development of the society by pursuing a promising career in the industry by making them employable with the necessary soft skills and leadership qualities.
- M3 : To encourage the students to pursue higher studies and carry out research and development in various fields of civil engineering.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1: The students should emerge as successful civil engineers in the industry, consulting firms and the government sector.
- PEO2: The students should demonstrate their expertise and skills by being successful entrepreneurs, leaders and innovators which will enable societal growth and national economic development.
- PEO3: The students should demonstrate sustained learning and adapt themselves to the constantly developing field of civil engineering and continue in the path of life-long learning by research and self study.
Programme Specific Objectives (PSOs)
To enable the students to accomplish the educational objectives, the
curriculum is designed to assure that the students will be able to,
- PSO1: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering to analyze and design civil engineering and transportation systems.
- PSO2: Become capable of analyzing the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental and social context and become responsible citizens.
- PSO3: Conduct experiments in the technical areas of civil engineering, analyze and interpret the resulting data.
- PSO4: Prepare reports for project work carried out and communicate the necessary civil engineering aspects effectively with presentations and seminars.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1: Engineering Knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2: Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- PO3: Design/ Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems using research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern Tool Usage: Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6: The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice.
- PO7: Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
- PO8: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice.
- PO9: Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11: Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12: Life-long Learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to Engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological changes.
Civil Engineering Department
Dr. Kumar. R. Rao, HOD
Dr. Kumar. R. RaoProfessor & HOD
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Water Resources, GIS, Environmental Management, Fluid Mechanics.
Taught and conducted research in Civil Engineering at College of Military Engineering, Ministry of Defence, Pune and National Remote sensing centre, ISRO, Hyderabad for 23 years.
Taught Geo-informatics and watershed Management at Symbiosis Institute of Geo-informatics and Pune University as Visiting faculty.
Worked at different Engineering colleges as Professor for 4 years.
Degrees Awarded:B.E., M.Tech., Ph.D.
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:
Recipient of corps of Engineers commendation
Serving in JIT as Visiting Faculty
Degrees Awarded:Ph.D (1989-IISC)
B.E (1975-Bangalore University)
B.Sc (1971-Bangalore University)
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:
Dr. Chandre Gowda
Dr. Chandre GowdaAssoc. Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Hydrology and water resources,
Hydraulics and Hydraulic machines, Design of hydraulic structures
Water resources engineering
Total Teaching Experience as on April 2017: [6 years 8 months]
Total Industrial Experience as on Aug 2014: [2 years]
Degrees Awarded:Ph. D
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Rainfall runoff modelling
Deriving rule curves for reservoirs
Reservoir operation modelling
Prediction in ungauged catchment
Water conservation methods
Flood frequency analysis
Mr. S Kumar
Mr. S KumarAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Geopolymer concrete structures
Total Teaching Experience as on Aug 2015: [04 years]
Total Industrial Experience as on Aug 2015: [10 years]
Degrees Awarded:M.Tech. [VTU], 
B.E. [Kuvempu University], 
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:No. of publications in peer-reviewed journals: 04
Attended land surveying summit with association of engineers and surveying consultant
held at BIT-Bangalore in May 2013
Ms. Shambhavi R S
Ms. Shambhavi R SAssistant Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Wastewater treatment, Waste to energy
Total Teaching Experience as on Aug 2015: [02 years]
Total Industrial Experience as on Aug 2015: [0 years]
Degrees Awarded:M.tech., Environmental Engineering, [VTU, 2012]
B. E., Environmental Engineering, [VTU, 2009]
Mr. Basavaraj H S
Mr. Basavaraj H SAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Earthquake engineering, rehabilitation of concrete structure
Total Teaching Experience as on Aug 2015: [05 years]
Total Industrial Experience as on Aug 2015: [02 in years]
Degrees Awarded:[M.Tech] [Davangere university] 
[B E ] [Kuvempu university] 
Mr. Sree Keshava K S
Mr. Sree Keshava K SAssistant Professor
Email : Sreekeshava.firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Design of advanced Structures
Masonry Structures, Composite Materials
Matrix method of structural analysis
Total Teaching Experience as on April 2017: [03 years]
Degrees Awarded:M.tech (PhD persuing)
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:1.“Elements of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics” ENKAY PUBLISHING HOUSE, New Delhi,Sreekeshava K S ,Dr. A. S Arun Kumar,ISBN No 978-93-85291-12-8
2.”KSCST” Sponsored project “Environmental effect on rainfall pattern and trend of Bangalore district ” in year 2015-2016.
3.”KSCST” Sponsored project “Rainfall distribution and its spatial and Temporal variability over Arkavathi river Basin under climate change scenario” in year 2016-2017.
4.Sucessfully completed “Introduction to structural engineering” workshop Sponsored by ISTE/MHRD conducted by IIT Kharagpur.
5. Successfully completed “Use of ICT in education for online and blended learning” course sponsored by AICTE/MHRD conducted by IIT Bombay.
Mr. DarshanAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Use of Total station and softwares in terrain analysis
Pavement Design And Evaluation
Highway Geometric Design
Soil Stabilisation Techniques
Total Teaching Experience as on April 2017: [2.5 Years]
Degrees Awarded:B.E(2012) – VTU Belagavi
MTECH(2014) - VTU Belagavi
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Life member of Indian Society for Technical Education
Mr. Nishchay Vishwasena
Mr. Nishchay VishwasenaAsst.Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Pavement materials and construction
Compaction characteristics and strength characteristics of soils
Total Teaching Experience as on April 2017: [2 years]
Total Industrial Experience as on Aug 2014: [1.5 Years]
Degrees Awarded:M.Tech – Transportation Engineering and Management,
BMSCE, Bengaluru, Affiliated to VTU, Belagavi
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Pursuing Ph.D. under the guidance of Dr. H. B. Nagaraj, BMSCE, Bengaluru.
Worked at Mantri Developers Pvt. Ltd in PMO department for 1.5 Years
Participated in 2-day National Level Workshop on Research Methodology at NIT Calicut (MHRD – TEQIP Sponsored)
Participated in 5-day Faculty Development Programme on Competent Engineering Teaching Challenges in BMSCE, Bengaluru
Attended 2-day workshop on warm mix asphalt at IIT, Madras
Participated in Research Model Expo at MNIT, Jaipur
Completed Internal Auditor training programme of ISO 9001:2008
Mrs. Poornima C
Mrs. Poornima CAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Geology, Earth Science and resource management
Total Teaching Experience as on Aug 2015: Fresher
Degrees Awarded:[Ms.c], [Kuvempu University], 
[Bs.c], [Davangere University], 
Ms. Janhavi Desai
Ms. Janhavi DesaiAsst Professor
Email : Janhavi.firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Water supply Engineering, Waste water engineering,
Solid waste management, Energy and Environment.
Total Teaching Experience as on April 2017: [7 months]
Degrees Awarded:M Tech (environmental engineering)
B E (civil)
Mr. Mrityunjay Pandey
Mr. Mrityunjay PandeyAsst Professor
Mr. Ganesh. C. R
Mr. Ganesh. C. RAsst Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Bearing Capacity, Geo-synthetics and Soil reinforcement
Soil investigation and Ground improvement techniques.
Total Teaching Experience as on April 2017: [8 Months ]
Total Industrial Experience as on Aug 2014: [2 years]
Degrees Awarded:BE - Civil Engineering - 2012 - VTU
Mtech - Geotechnical Engineering - 2016 - VTU
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Published paper titled “Bearing Capacity of BC soil Reinforced with Coir Fibers Underlain by Loose Stratum” in the Int'l Conference on Advances in Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics (ICAESAM’2016) Dec. 21-22, 2016 Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) along with Mr Jairaj C, Dr.Prathap Kumar M.T and others.
Mr. SkandakumarAsst Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Transportation Engineering and Management
Concrete Technology, Pavement Engineering
Surveying, Building Materials and Construction Technology
Total Teaching Experience as on April 2017: [5 Years]
Degrees Awarded:(Ph.D ) pursuing under VTU
M.Tech –Transportation Engineering and Management
B.E- Civil Engineering
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Member of Association of Consulting Civil Engineers MACCE-India
Carried out research work on Utilization of Iron Ore Tailings as a replacement to Fine aggregates in Cement Concrete Pavements Actively involved in the industrial consultancy work undertaken.