Jyothy Institute of Technology
Affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University - Belagavi, Approved by AICTE - New Delhi
- About The Dept
- Vision & Mission
- Programme Outcomes
- Syllabus and Scheme
- Photo Gallery
- Technical Talks
- Student Projects
- Industrial Visits
- News Letter
- Innovative Teaching learning
Civil Engineering is a diversified and one of the oldest branches of Engineering that encompasses study in fields of Structural engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Construction Engineering & management & various other specialized areas. The Civil Engineering mainly involves Planning, Analysis & Design of different infrastructure projects & implementation through sustainable approach on a turn key basis.
The Departmental facilities of the college include state of art laboratories encapsulating Structural & Geospatial software’s in CAD lab and sophisticated state of art equipments required for conceptualization .The facilities also includes advanced teaching techniques for undergraduate students in the smart classrooms. The objectives of the course calls for effective teaching by experienced faculties through use of different pedagogical facilities thereby creating vibrant learning ambience and exacerbated through industrial visits, guest lectures , workshops etc.
Our faculties are associated with R&D and consultancy works for improvement of quality teaching that makes the department one of the most sort of department in Bangalore. The faculty members contribute to academic development by publishing books and presenting papers in International Conference, National conferences and journals.
The department has formed a student chapter for Indian Concrete Institute which helps in gaining broad knowledge of ongoing research works. The departmental students are getting placed in various domains and also undergo higher studies with requisite training & professional tie up, thus outshining in the fast paced world.
To be a global Centre of excellence in imparting quality education in all the frontiers of civil engineering for the development of the society.
- M1 : To educate the students in the field of civil engineering by adopting best teaching-learning process with state of the art facilities and infrastructure.
- M2 : To encourage the students to contribute to the development of the society by pursuing a promising career in the industry by making them employable with the necessary soft skills and leadership qualities.
- M3 : To encourage the students to pursue higher studies and carry out research and development in various fields of civil engineering.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1: The students should emerge as successful civil engineers in the industry, consulting firms and the government sector.
- PEO2: The students should demonstrate their expertise and skills by being successful entrepreneurs, leaders and innovators which will enable societal growth and national economic development.
- PEO3: The students should demonstrate sustained learning and adapt themselves to the constantly developing field of civil engineering and continue in the path of life-long learning by research and self-study.
Programme Specific Outcomes(PSOs)
- PSO1:(Knowledge / Skills:) Implement the basic knowledge of civil engineering for designing of civil engineering structures
- PSO2:(Application/Analysis/Problem solving) Analyze problems related to the social and environmental aspects and provide sustainable engineering solutions.
- PSO3:(Value) Adhere to the codal provisions and specifications for carrying out the various construction practices.
- PSO4:(Attribute) Exhibit good communication skills and work as effective team players.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1: Engineering Knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2: Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- PO3: Design/ Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems using research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern Tool Usage: Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6: The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice.
- PO7: Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
- PO8: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice.
- PO9: Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11: Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12: Life-long Learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to Engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological changes.
Civil Engineering Department
Dr. Kumar. R. Rao, HOD
Dr. Kumar. R. RaoProfessor & HOD
Email : email@example.com
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: 27 Years
Total Industrial Experience :02 Years
Area of Interest : Water Resources, GIS, Environmental Management, Fluid Mechanics.
Taught and conducted research in Civil Engineering at College of Military Engineering, Ministry of Defence, Pune and National Remote sensing centre, ISRO, Hyderabad for 23 years.
Taught Geo-informatics and watershed Management at Symbiosis Institute of Geo-informatics and Pune University as Visiting faculty. Has been Awarded with Corps of Engineers, commendation for establishing Geo-Spatial Technology into the Corp. He is the recognized Phd Guide at VTU and JNTU Ananthpur. He also has 6 years experience in different Engineering Colleges.
Life member of Indian Society of Remote Sensing and ICI.
Degrees Awarded:Ph.D (2009-Pune University)
M.Tech (1989-IIT Kanpur)
B.E ( 1987 -Bangalore University)
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Recipient of corps of Engineers commendation
Serving in JIT as Visiting Faculty
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: 35 Years
Total Industrial Experience : 5 Years
Degrees Awarded:Ph.D (1989-IISC)
B.E (1975-Bangalore University)
B.Sc (1971-Bangalore University)
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:
Dr. Chandre Gowda
Dr. Chandre GowdaAssoc. Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Hydrology and water resources, Fluid mechanics, Hydraulics and Hydraulic machines, Design of hydraulic structures Water resources engineering
Total Teaching Experience as on SEP 2017: [3 years 7 Months]
Total Industrial Experience : [1year 10 Months]
Research: 3 Years 8 Months
Degrees Awarded:Ph. D
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Rainfall runoff modelling Simulation, optimization Deriving rule curves for reservoirs Reservoir operation modelling Prediction in ungauged catchment Water conservation methods Flood frequency analysis
Mr. S Kumar
Mr. S KumarAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Geopolymer concrete structures
Total Teaching Experience as on SEP 2017: [5 Years 6 Months]
Total Industrial Experience as on SEP 2017: [10 years]
Degrees Awarded:M.Tech. [VTU], 
B.E. [Kuvempu University], 
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:No. of publications in peer-reviewed journals: 05
Attended land surveying summit with association of engineers and surveying consultant held at BIT-Bangalore in May 2013
Life Member of Indian Society for Technical Education 2016 Life member of Indian Concrete Institute 2017
Ms. Shambhavi R S
Ms. Shambhavi R SAssistant Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Wastewater treatment, Waste to energy
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: [04 years]
Degrees Awarded:M.tech., Environmental Engineering, [VTU, 2012]
B. E., Environmental Engineering, [VTU, 2009]
Mr. Basavaraj H S
Mr. Basavaraj H SAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Earthquake engineering, rehabilitation of concrete structure
Total Teaching Experience as on SEP 2017: [ 6 years]
Total Industrial Experience as on SEP 2017: [02 in years]
Degrees Awarded:[M.Tech] [Davangere university] 
[B E ] [Kuvempu university] 
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Short term Courses/Workshops attended
Attended FDP on “Methodologies Foe 3D Scanning of Civil and Architectural Structures” At Government Engineering College,HASSAN,FEB 2014
FDP on “Autodesk Revit Software” at DSCE Bangalore, Jan-2015
FDP on “Autodesk AutoCAD Software” at DSCE Bangalore, Jan-2015
Participated in the “NPTEL Workshop” at JIT Bangalore, Jan 2016
Participated 3rd International Conference on Applied science Engineering and Technology (ICASET 2017), May 2017.
Attended 05 day short term course at IIT Bombay on Finite element method and its Application in civil engineering:” June 2017.
1. Seismic Performance Of RC Flat Slab Building Structural system
2. Stabilization of industrial Sludge with soil, Fly ash mixture with Additives
Life Member of Indian Society for Technical Education 2016
Life member of Indian Concrete Institute 2017
Mr. Sree Keshava K S
Mr. Sree Keshava K SAssistant Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Advanced Structural Analysis, Strength of Materials, Matrix Method of Structural Analysis, Masonry Structures, Structural Dynamics, Engineering Mechanics, Fabrics reinforced concrete Structures, Design of Concrete and Steel elements, Earthquake Engineering, Design of structures using analytical methods
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: [03 years 7 months]
Degrees Awarded:M.tech (PhD persuing)
Professional Membershipsi. Life member of Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), New Delhi.
ii. Life member of Indian Concrete Institute (ICI), Chennai.
iii. Life member of The National Information Centre of Earthquake Engineering (NICEE), IIT Kanpur.
Text Book Authored:i. “Elements of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics” Enkay Publishing House, New Delhi, Sreekeshava K S , Dr. A. S ArunKumar. ISBN No 978-93- 85291-12- 8
Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST) Funded projects:i. ”KSCST” Sponsored project “Environmental effect on rainfall pattern and trend of Bangalore district” in year 2015-2016.
ii. ”KSCST” Sponsored project “Rainfall distribution and its spatial and Temporal variability over Arkavathi river Basin under climate change scenario” in year 2016-2017.
Short term Courses/Workshops attended:i. “Introduction to structural engineering” workshop Sponsored by ISTE/MHRD conducted by IIT Kharagpur.
ii. “Use of ICT in education for online and blended learning” course sponsored by AICTE/MHRD conducted by IIT Bombay.
iii. “Application of smart materials and devices for sustainable rehabilitation of structures” course sponsored by TEQIP-11 conducted by MSRIT, Bangalore.
iv. “Graph theory-Algorithms and Applications” course sponsored by TEQUIP-11 conducted by BMSCE, Bangalore.
v. “Earthquake Engineering Literature Survey”, Workshop sponsored by NICEE, IIT Kanpur
Journals Publicationi. Sreekeshava K.S., Yogendra B.E. (2015) “Spatial and Seasonal analysis of Rainfall variation in Chikkamagalur Belur and Mudigere taluks using Arcgis” IJIFR/V2/E7/008.
ii. Sreekeshava K.S., Venkatasubrahmanya B.V. (2015) “Progressive Loading and Analysis of RC-Plane framed structures”. IJIFR/V2/E8/027.
iii. Sreekeshava K.S., Sameer Ahamad ., Sahana T.S (2017) “A Parametric Study on the Conventional Method of Construction and Stage-Wise Construction of 2D Plane Frames With Finite Element Package”, IJIFR/V4/E11/023.
iv. Sreekeshava K.S., Afreen Taj., Sahana T.S (2017) “Analytical Studies on The Modelling of Masonry-Infill Reinforced Concrete Frames Under Lateral Loads”, IJIFR/V4/E11/008.
Research Area and Publicationsi. Research Area
Fabric Reinforced Masonry Construction
Sreekeshava K.S., ArunKumar A.S., Ravishankar B.V (2017) “Influence of Geofabrics on the Performance of concrete elements”.ICERTMCE-2017, Reva university , Bangalore.
Mr. DarshanAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Use of Total station and softwares in terrain analysis
Pavement Design And Evaluation
Highway Geometric Design
Soil Stabilisation Techniques
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep2017: [3 Years 7 Months]
Degrees Awarded:B.E(2012) – VTU Belagavi
MTECH(2014) - VTU Belagavi
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Life member of Indian Society for Technical Education
Mr. Nishchay Vishwasena
Mr. Nishchay VishwasenaAsst.Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Pavement materials and construction
Compaction characteristics and strength characteristics of soils
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: [3 years]
Total Industrial Experience [1.5 Years]
Degrees Awarded:M.Tech – Transportation Engineering and Management,
BMSCE, Bengaluru, Affiliated to VTU, Belagavi
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Pursuing Ph.D. under the guidance of Dr. H. B. Nagaraj, BMSCE, Bengaluru.
Worked at Mantri Developers Pvt. Ltd in PMO department for 1.5 Years
Participated in 2-day National Level Workshop on Research Methodology at NIT Calicut (MHRD – TEQIP Sponsored)
Participated in 5-day Faculty Development Programme on Competent Engineering Teaching Challenges in BMSCE, Bengaluru
Attended 2-day workshop on warm mix asphalt at IIT, Madras
Participated in Research Model Expo at MNIT, Jaipur
Completed Internal Auditor training programme of ISO 9001:2008
Mrs. Poornima C
Mrs. Poornima CAssistant Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Geology, Earth Science and resource management
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: 2 Years 7 Months
Degrees Awarded:[Ms.c], [Kuvempu University], 
[Bs.c], [Davangere University], 
Workshops attendedI. WORKSHOP PERTAINING TO “DISCUSSION ON REVISED SYLLABUS ( CBCS), TEACHING METHODOLOGY AND CONDUCTING PRACTICAL EXAMINATION IN ENGINEERING GEOLOGY organized by KARNATAKA STATE ENGINEERING COLLEGES GEOLOGY TEACHER FORUM.
II. WORKSHOP ON “REMOTE SENSING IMAGE PROCESSING AND ANALYSIS Organized by NITK, Surathkal.
KARNATAKA STATE ENGINEERING COLLEGES GEOLOGY TEACHER FORUM
Ms. Janhavi Desai
Ms. Janhavi DesaiAsst Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Water supply Engineering, Waste water engineering,
Solid waste management, Energy and Environment.
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: 1 year
Degrees Awarded:M Tech (environmental engineering)
B E (civil)
Workshops attendedI. WORKSHOP ON “REMOTE SENSING IMAGE PROCESSING AND ANALYSIS Organized by NITK, Surathkal.
Mr. Ganesh. C. R
Mr. Ganesh. C. RAsst Professor
Email : email@example.com
Area of Interest : Bearing Capacity, Geo-synthetics and Soil reinforcement
Soil investigation and Ground improvement techniques.
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: [1 Year 3 Months]
Total Industrial Experience as on Sep 2017: [2 years]
Degrees Awarded:BE - Civil Engineering - 2012 - VTU
Mtech - Geotechnical Engineering - 2016 - VTU
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Published paper titled “Bearing Capacity of BC soil Reinforced with Coir Fibers Underlain by Loose Stratum” in the Int'l Conference on Advances in Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics (ICAESAM’2016) Dec. 21-22, 2016 Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) along with MrJairaj C, Dr.Prathap Kumar M.T and others.
Life Member of Indian Concrete Institute 2017
Short term Courses/Workshops attended:
Completed 4 Week NPTEL Online Certification course on “Geotechnical Engineering Lab “conducted by IIT Bombay and secured Elite certificate.
Completed 8 Week NPTEL Online Certification course on “Introduction to Research” conducted by IIT Madras and secured Elite certificate.
Mr. SkandakumarAsst Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of Interest : Transportation Engineering and Management
Concrete Technology, Pavement Engineering
Surveying, Building Materials and Construction Technology
Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: [5 Years]
Degrees Awarded:(Ph.D ) pursuing under VTU
M.Tech –Transportation Engineering and Management
B.E- Civil Engineering
Research, Professional and Scientific Activity:Member of Association of Consulting Civil Engineers MACCE-India
Carried out research work on Utilization of Iron Ore Tailings as a replacement to Fine aggregates in Cement Concrete Pavements Actively involved in the industrial consultancy work undertaken.
Mr. Kuldeep S
Mr. Kuldeep SAsst Professor
Degrees Awarded:M.Tech – Structural Engineering (SRM University -2016)
B.E- Civil Engineering (Autonomous) VTU -2014
Area of Interest: Design of Steel & RC structures, Strength of Materials, Reinforced Concrete bridges. Total Teaching Experience as on Sep 2017: 3 Months
Industrial Experience:1 Year
1. S. Kuldeep and M. Bhuvaneshwari, “Analytical Studies On Bi- Steel Light Weight Concrete Sandwich Beam”, International Journal of chemical sciences, Volume 14, No.2,2016,PP 155-163
1) FDP on “Computer Aided Building Planning & Drawing ” at DSCE Bangalore, Aug-2017
Companies having MOU’S for internship with department
1. Civil Aid
2. Medini school of Design
3. BMV planning centre
Industry expert talks In the DepartmentClick here to view the Details of Technical Talks
Students ProjectsClick here to view the Details of Students Project
- Click here to view NEWS LETTER - JAN TO JUNE 2017.pdf
- Click here to view NEWS LETTER - JULY TO DECEMBER 2017 .pdf
- Click here to view NEWS LETTER - JAN TO JUNE 2016 .pdf
- Click here to view NEWS LETTER - JULY TO DEC 2016 .pdf
- Click here to view NEWS LETTER - JAN TO DECEMBER 2015.pdf
- Click here to view NEWS LETTER - JAN TO DECEMBER 2014.pdf
1. Combined Teaching Aids:
The teaching process involves a combination of both black board and ICT teaching methods like PowerPoint presentations, animations, WACOM device, NPTEL and YouTube videos. Using both the methods simultaneously is an effective means of teaching the students as it will help them in improving their knowledge in engineering, general and current trends and enhance their skills in solving problems, analysis and critical review.
2. Practical Demonstration in Theory Classes:
In view of better understanding of principle and working of various measuring equipment and test procedures, the equipment and the testing apparatus are brought to the classroom or the students are taken to the laboratory where the working principles involved are explained along with the equipment which will give the students, a better knowledge of the concepts in engineering, general and current trends
3. Model Based Teaching Methods:
Models are developed for better understanding which will help the students to visualise the actual conditions and achieve a better understanding of the concepts. This activity will enhance their knowledge in engineering, general and current trends.
4. Real-Time Case Studies:
Industrial visits / Site visits are organized to acquaint the students to the present day trends in civil engineering and they will get a better idea of the applications of the concepts learnt in classroom teaching.This activity will improve their knowledge in engineering, general and current trends. The work culture in the industries and sites will inculcate the values of language, team work, feedback, ethics, social responsibility and environmental awareness. It will also be beneficial in improving their employment opportunities as these visits will give the students, an insight into the idea of the planning, management, trouble shooting, communication and presentation.
5. Flipped Classes:
The students are given an opportunity learn certain concepts on their own and then teach the rest of the class by any means (Chalk board or ICT Methods). Students are encouraged to give presentations which will help them in gaining better knowledge of the concepts in engineering, general and current trends. This process will inculcate the values of language, team work, feedback, ethics, social responsibility and environmental awareness. It will also be beneficial in improving their employment opportunities as these visits will give the students, an insight into the idea of the planning, management, trouble shooting, communication and presentation.
6. Access to Journals:
The students have been provided access to the Indian and international journals which will help them in enhancing their knowledge beyond the syllabus and encourage them to pursue higher studies and research in the field of civil engineering. This will help them in improving their knowledge in engineering, general and current trends and enhance their skills in solving problems, analysis and critical review.
7. Project work:
The final year students carry out the project work as per the VTU syllabi and 2nd year and 3rd year students carry out mini projects will which help them in improving their knowledge in engineering, general and current trends and enhance their skills in solving problems, analysis and critical review.This process will inculcate the values of language, team work, feedback, ethics, social responsibility and environmental awareness. It will also be beneficial in improving their employment opportunities as these visits will give the students, an insight into the idea of the planning, management, trouble shooting, communication and presentation.